Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Weird loss but I moved one step closer

Tonight was the second game of hosting the Baysox from Bowie and it was weird from the beginning.  Skipper had decided to let me have the night off again so I was gonna relax and be a fan for the night, or so I thought.  In the first inning, our first basemen, Ramirez, injured his knee trying to beat out the runner to first on a atom ball.  We don't know how bad it is yet but he had to leave the game.  So what does Skip do? He puts me in at first base.  I started out playing there, so this shouldn't be a problem and it wasn't.  We battled back and forth with Bowie but heading into the bottom of the 9th, we were down 7-3. We started a good rally but were only able to plate three runs and lost 7-6 as Bowie clinched the series with a 2-0 lead.  My "day off" saw me go 2-4 at the plate with another solo home run.  

As disappointing as the game was, I'm very excited right now because after the game, Skipper called me into his office.  He told me that I was recovering well from the ankle injury and was beginning to round back into form.  He said that he was gonna be disappointed to not see how much more I progressed in person and I must say, that confused me.  I asked him if he was going somewhere and he told me no and said that I was the one going.  I just stared at him, still confused.  Skip got up from his desk and walked over and shook my hand while saying, "Pack your bags, Mack.  You've been called up to Rochester and will catch them in Durham tomorrow."  I was blown away.  I had been called up to AAA and was just one step away from The Show. My dream was coming true.  I thanked Skip, ran out of his office and started packing my bags.  The guys were really supportive and seemed genuinely glad for me.  I hope to play with them all again soon.  There is so much more I could say, but I have to get to Durham because now I am part of the Rochester Red Wings of the International League. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment