Thursday, April 24, 2014

Down Goes Frazier!!!!

Sorry for borrowing the famous quote from Howard Cosell but it seemed appropriate.  Except it wasn't Frazier.  It was me.  But "down goes Frazier" sounded a lot better than "down goes Walker," don't you think? 

So what happened? I'm glad you asked. After coming up in the first inning with runners on 1st and 2nd, I managed to slap a shot through the right side of the infield.  One run scored and the runner on first went to third.  While I was rounding first to take my turn and look, I felt a little twinge in my right hamstring.  After calling time and walking it off, I told the first base coach that I was good to go.  Looking over at the third base coach for the signs, I saw that I had been given the green light to steal second base.  So I got a decent lead at first and this caused the pitcher to throw over and try to pick me off.  We did this dance a couple of more times before he finally went home with the pitch which was taken low in the dirt.  Once again I was given the steal sign and this time I took another half step with my lead.  Once again they tried to pick me off and once again I was able to dive back in safely.  But this time, when I turned and started to dive, I felt a pop behind my right thigh and as I was diving back in, all I could do was let out a scream as I felt my thigh was on fire.  The umpire quickly called time and the trainer ran onto the field.  I was carried off to the clubhouse by my teammates with what is being called publicly as a "pulled hamstring." In reality it is at least a Grade 2 Hamstring Strain and possibly a Grade 3 Strain.  Right now I am practicing the PRICE (Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) protocol for treatment. I will hope to know more tomorrow or Saturday after an MRI. 

Oh, by the way, we lost the game 8-5 and I finished 1-1 with an RBI.  I'll let you know what I find out after the MRI.

No comments:

Post a Comment