Thursday, April 3, 2014

What an entrance!!!!!

In the words of the great Cubs announcer, Harry Carey, "HOLY COW!!!" I guess you could say I made a rather grand entrance in the AA Eastern League in our season opener against the Richmond Flying Squirrels.  Here is a quick rundown of the game, the best I can remember.

It didn't start off well at all and by the time I actually made my first plate appearance, we were already down 4-0.  After fighting off a couple of close pitches, I hit a hard shot down the first base line that the Richmond first baseman made a great play on and then beat me to the bag.  Yeah, that's right.  In my first AA at bat, I go out 3U (three unassisted). 

My next at bat was in the bottom of the 4th when we were down 5-2.  I managed to take a hard slider on the inside part of the plate and pull it into the hole between first and second.  Breaking out of the box, I knew I had my first AA hit.  That is until I watched the Richmond second sacker range deep into the grass and make a beautiful snag of my well placed hit and then throw me out at first.  For those of you keeping score at home, I was out 4-3.  

Down 5-4 in the bottom of the sixth inning with a runner on second and one out, I stepped up to the plate once again.  On a 2-2 count, I hit a frozen rope over the second baseman's head into right field for a single.  Not only did I get my first AA hit, but with the runner on second scoring, I also got my first AA RBI. Unfortunately,  that's about as far as it went since my hit was followed by a strikeout and a fielder's choice leaving me stranded at first. At least I managed to tie the game up at 5-5 though.

Leading off the bottom of the 9th and still tied 5-5, I walked up to the plate determined to get us started and get the win.  I got fooled on a change up and topped it weakly, grounding out to shortstop.  So much for starting that ninth inning rally but then again, no one else got it started either.  So we went on to extra innings or as some people look at it, "free baseball."

The top of the tenth didn't fare well for us as we gave up two runs and trailed 7-5 as we headed to the bottom of  10th.  We managed to squeeze out a run and then loaded the bases which brought me up to bat one more time.  So there I was, no outs, bases loaded and down 7-6.  All I needed was a single and two runs would probably score and that would get us the win.  As I stepped into the box, all I could think was, "Don't blow this!!!"  Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get that single. Unfortunately for Richmond that is.  Because after reaching a 1-2 count and fouling off three straight pitches, I got a fastball up and let it rip.  That's right folks, a WALK OFF GRAND SLAM!!!!!  We ended up winning 10-7 and I got completely mobbed by teammates when I reached home plate.  Like I said in the post title, "What an entrance!!!!!!" 

There you have it.  My first AA game and I will say that I think I represented well.  I'm worn out now and headed to bed.  I'll be back tomorrow to update you on the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment